C.B. Smith Training & Consulting Ltd.
Child Abuse Investigation Training
Craig B. Smith, BGS, CFCI - Qualifications
- Bachelor of General Studies - Criminal Justice, University of Fraser Valley (2010)
- Certified Forensic Child Interviewer (2014)
- Twenty-seven years experience with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Sixteen years experience investigating sexual offences and homicides.
- Author of Shaken Baby Syndrome An investigator's manual (2010)
- Revised and co-authored An Investigative Guide for Sexual Offences, Third Edition, under contract to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (2006).
- Co-developed Manual for the Investigation of Child Sexual Abuse and For the Kids, a manual and one hour training video on proper child sexual abuse investigation procedures as part of a training package for police and social workers.
- Canadian Society for the Investigation of Child Abuse, (1988).
- Author of "Guidelines for Child Abuse Investigations", National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome, (1999).
- Expert consultant on Shaken Baby Syndrome with the National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome (1999 - present).
- Presenter at numerous conferences and courses including
- ISPCAN European Regional Meeting, The Hague (2017)
- 31st Annual San Diego International Conference on Child Abuse and Family Maltreatment (2017)
- National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome Conference, Montreal (2016)
- Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance (COVA), 27 Annual Conference (2015)
- National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome Conference, Denver (2014)
- 9th ISPCAN Asia Pacific Regional Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, Delhi, India (2011)
- 18th Annual American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children (APSAC) Conference, New Orleans USA (2010)
- 8th ISPCAN Asia Pacific Regional Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, Perth, Australia (2009)
- Rocky Mountain Information Network conference on Crimes Against Children, Lauglin, Nevada USA (2007)
- 10th Annual Homicide School, Nevada, USA (2006).
- 9th Annual Symposium on Child Trauma, St. Louis, USA (2006).
- Joining Together: Conducting Forensic Investigations on Behalf of the Young Abused Child, Calgary, Canada (2006).
- 14th Annual Western States Sexual Assault/Abuse Seminar, Las Vegas, USA (2005).
- Missouri Police Juvenile Officer's Association, Annual Conference and Training Institute, Missouri, USA (2004, 2005).
- International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (ISPCAN), Brisbane, Australia (2004), Denver, USA (2002).
- North American Conference on Shaken Baby Syndrome, Montreal, Canada (2004).
- Third and Fourth National Conference on Shaken Baby Syndrome, Salt Lake City, USA, (2002, 2000).
- Keynote speaker at the Symposium 2002 Teddy Bears and Flashlights: Reducing the Complexities for Children & Families, St. John's, Canada (2002).
- Australian National Conference on Shaken Baby Syndrome, Sydney, Australia (2001).
- Keynote speaker at the Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect (SCAN) Conference in Toronto, Canada (2001).
- First and Second Canadian Conferences on Shaken Baby Syndrome, Saskatoon, Canada (2001, 1999).
- Training Sessions provided throughout Canada, United States, Australia, India, Singapore and the Phillipines to police officers, social workers, prosecutors, victim services, school and medical personnel on Child Sexual Abuse, Shaken Baby Syndrome, Interviews and Interrogations, Adult Sexual Assault Investigations.
Prevention, education, treatment and the provision of ongoing services for victims and their families are all essential elements in dealing with child maltreatment. In addition, professionals involved with child abuse know that a proper investigation is critical. As a police officer involved for many years in child abuse cases, my job was to conduct thorough, professional, investigations that elicited all available details, with a minimum of trauma to the child victims. The intent of my training is to provide professionals with the necessary skills to carry out an effective yet compassionate, child abuse investigation.
I provide courtesy consultations to anyone who has taken my training. More in depth case consultations and opinions may be provided on a per fee basis. My primary responsibility has always been to the truth and to the best interests of child victims.
Craig B. Smith, BGS, Certified Forensic Child Interviewer